Follow up to RRC-12: RARI Foundation Grants Committee Selection

With RRC-12’s execution on Tally, it’s time to select the Grants Committee!
RRC-12: RARI Ecosystem Growth Fund, original forum post for reference

General:

The committee consists of 4 members, with 3 out of 4 votes needed for a grant to be approved.

Two members will be appointed by the RARI Foundation, and two by the community via the poll at the bottom of this post (to be added once voting opens Nov 2. The poll will be public and only verified votes will count for qualified candidates).

The RARI Foundation proposes the following two members:

1. Jana Bertram, Head of Strategy RARI Foundation
  2. Alexander Salnikov, co-founder of Rarible

For the two community-appointed seats, ALL applicants shall apply on this thread, and the community will vote via poll on their 2 appointments (to be added once voting opens Nov 2 and only verified votes will count for qualified candidates).

• Applications open: Oct 26
  • Voting period: Nov 2-15 (EOD)
  • Selection Announcement: Nov 16

Applicants:

Thanks for your interest in becoming a RARI Foundation Grants Committee member! We are excited to work with the community on the selection process as we continue to mature governance.

Please read the requirements below to ensure your application is complete upon submission.

The goal is to assemble an engaged grants committee dedicated to actively reviewing every grant submission and funding ecosystem-aligned projects building or contributing to the Rarible protocol.

To submit your application, please share in the forum thread below:

1. Short delegate bio and motivation for applying
  • Just a few sentences about you and why you want to serve on the committee!
  • What inspires you about the Ecosystem Grants Fund in general, and particularly the grants portion?
  • What is your vision for the grants committee?
  1. Relevant experience
  • What makes you qualified to become a committee member and help in the grant decision making process?
  • Have you received a web3 grant previously? What learnings would you like to see implemented to shape an amazing grants experience for grantees?

If you qualify for a grants committee seat, you can expect to be invited to bi-weekly meetings to review grants applications, and will be asked to use a hard wallet for voting on grant recipients via the multisig the RARI Foundation will set up for this purpose.

POLL LIVE UNTIL NOV 15 EOD

• This is a public poll and only verified votes will count for qualified candidates.
  • Please cast 2 votes for 2 committee members.
  • The 2 applicants with the most votes will be selected.
  • The poll will be updated with individual applicants after submissions are in and the voting period opens Nov 2.
  • Jaf
  • WinVerse
  • Cr1st0f

0 voters

5 Likes

Name:

Kyle Jacobs “Root” | @rootdraws | Silo.gg

Grant Sub-Committee:

I think that piloting an Incubator | Launchpad to fund small Art and Development projects would be a useful grant sub-committee.

Does Your Art Project have a Target Audience?

One of my favorite artists is Alphonse Mucha. During his life, Mucha was successfully employed as an artist, and this was because of his willingness to do commercial work.

Mucha’s work can be found on:

• Theatre Billfolds
  • Chocolate Wrappers
  • Wine & Absinthe Labels
  • Rolling Tobacco Papers
  • Tarot Cards
  • There is also a body of work dedicated to the Czech Culture.

Mucha realized that Art creates luxury branding for Tobacco and Wine. People were going to buy their vices regardless, but with the vices, the Art was seen as an added value. If Mucha had prioritized painting what he ‘was inspired by’ – without consideration for marketability, his work might not have sold.

If Mucha was an NFT Artist, he would probably:

• Sell Art to crowdfunded LP Pools for Top DeFi protocols
  • Create Education and Onboarding Projects to serve L2s
  • Make Luxury Branding for Meme Tokens
  • Raise funding for Public Goods to lead Gitcoin Rounds
  • Participate in the Manifold Artist Community

What If…

• We created an insider group of OG Rarible Collectors who curated projects?
  • We partnered with Sudoswap | NFTx, and each Collection had LP that earned Fees for the DAO?
  • We had a royalty split which funded this DAO?
  • We matched funding with Ecosystem Grants for creating Education Projects?
  • We partnered with Dev Education groups to pair Artists with Developers in small teams?
  • We published case studies of each project to attract more participants and collectors?

Recent Grant Experience:

I helped design a way to crowdfund community owned treasuries with NFT Collections, and pitched it successfully to a couple of groups. ETH has been collected into a treasury, and Developers and Artists have been paid.

MVP projects are en route.

Alchemix:

Alchemix just closed a grant worth 15 ETH to help fund development and art for a 6551 Moloch Treasury NFT Collection.

DAOhaus:

DAOhaus just offered a grant worth 12 ETH to help fund development for 6551 | Moloch Tools.

Rarible:

Currently have a Grant Proposal live for RARI/wETH LP migrating to Velodrome, with a crowdfunding strategy involving 6551 | Moloch.

What makes a good grant proposal?

• Retroactive – Some work already completed.
  • A clear business plan, and target audiences.
  • Multiple sources of Income | Grant Matching Potential
  • Integration with other Protocols | Tokens | Communities
  • Influencers included in the plan.
  • Some work history for the artists.
  • Collection must be large enough to be speculated on.
  • AI Art is acceptable, but there must be a clear value add to the target community.
  • Process Media | or some Media Plan ought to be included // active on part of the Artists.
  • Innovative Development or Experience | Manifold Contract Extension experimentation.

A Rubric could be made and projects could be scored.

Conclusion:

I would argue that if the Audience comes first, then the Artist can become popular.
But, if the Artist comes first, then, the artist needs to have a cult of personality or become an iconic cultural representative in order for a project to succeed.

Most artists create because of a passion, and the majority of them do not succeed in selling their work.

Providing a framework for artists, similar to the Canto Hackathon, where there are seasons, and structured patterns which fulfill the Rubric above could help small teams launch viable projects.

We can work with different partners each season, to help explore different structures, and source grant matching.

.:.

The RARI Grant sub-committee being proposed operates somewhere between:

• Creative Marketing
  • Business Development
  • Crowdfunding Coordination
  • NFT Project Incubator
  • Collector / Artist DAO

I would be willing to lead this initiative, and would request a stipend, along with measurable goals.

5 Likes

Bio and motivation

I’m cr1st0f, and I’ve been engaged in the DeFi and NFT finance worlds for the past couple of years, occupying various roles and contributing to different DAOs. Some of my writings and thoughts are available on my Twitter. Additionally, I serve as a delegate for Rari DAO, with a consistent voting record since becoming a delegate, which is accessible here.

I’m an active user and contributor in the NFT and DeFi space which has given me a well-rounded understanding of the NFT and DeFi ecosystems, which I am keen to apply on the RARI Grants Committee. Outside of the crypto space, my background is in academia, focusing on mechanical engineering research where I have served on grants and assessment panels across academic and charitable organizations.

What inspires you about the Ecosystem Grants Fund in general, and particularly the grants portion?

I see the Ecosystem Grants Fund as a key tool to support innovation and strengthen collaboration in the Rarible protocol community. I’m particularly interested in backing projects that focus on artist collaborations and NFT finance protocol integrations, as I see substantial potential for growth and development in these areas. I’m excited to see what grant applications are received and look forward to helping drive forward the most impactful initiatives to keep pushing the Rarible protocol forward.

What is your vision for the grants committee?

I envision the Grants Committee as a transparent and effective assessment that guides applicants clearly through each funding stage, helping them refine their ideas to better align with Rarible’s community goals when needed. Drawing from my experience in grant assessment, my goal is to ensure a rigorous and transparent evaluation process, supporting practical projects that contribute positively to our community.

What makes you qualified to become a committee member and help in the grant decision making process?

I have practical experience from serving on various grants and assessment committees, providing me with a solid foundation for evaluating applications. My background in the DeFi and NFT space equips me with the necessary knowledge to assess applications based on their merits, ensuring a fair and thoughtful review process. Additionally, my active involvement as a Rarible DAO delegate reflects my commitment to the community and alignment with its values. Drawing on these experiences, I believe I am well qualified to serve on the committee and help in the grant decision making process.

Have you received a Web3 grant previously?

No, I haven’t received a Web3 grant previously. However, I have received non-Web3 grants and served on panels assessing grant applications. These experiences have given me insight into the challenges faced by applicants and the criteria necessary for a successful application, which I believe will be beneficial in this role. I believe this diverse experience, although not Web3 related, will be a benefit to the Grants Committee.

What learnings would you like to see implemented?

Based on my experience in non-Web3 grants, a clear, straightforward grant application process is crucial. Applicants need clear guidelines and accessible resources to help them submit strong proposals. Providing constructive feedback and maintaining open communication throughout the evaluation process can significantly improve the applicant’s experience. Implementing these practices ensures a better experience for applicants and helps the committee support the most promising and aligned projects.

4 Likes

Thank you Addie for making the Grants Committee selection Forum post.

Enclosed is my application:

1. Short Delegate bio and motivation for applying

• Hey guys! I am WinVerse, a passionate enthusiast who embarked on this exciting web3 journey. My initial foray began with contributing to an NFT DAO, and since then, I have delved deeper into the rabbit hole. Now, I’ve committed myself to the web3 ecosystem full-time, engaging in roles such as writing, editing, marketing, project management, podcasting, business development, governance, and more. My extensive knowledge base developed over my years of active involvement in various projects has provided me with a comprehensive perspective on the ever-evolving landscape of web3. It is this deep understanding and broad insight that fuel my desire to serve on the Grants Committee. I’m eager to contribute my expertise and play a pivotal role in shaping the future of web3 projects.

• When I consider the Ecosystem Grant Fund, two key elements immediately capture my attention: the potential for exponential growth and a profound mission alignment. As evidenced by my Tally profile, my primary motivation for assuming the role of a delegate is to establish strategic partnerships by showcasing the innovative products built on Rarible. Funding these ecosystem-aligned projects via grants answers the products built question.

• As you aptly put it, Addie, our objective is to forge a dynamic and engaged Grants Committee (GC). This vision encapsulates how I see the GC: a cohesive team that operates with exceptional effectiveness and efficiency. We’re here to meticulously assess every grant request, ensuring that we allocate resources exclusively to projects deeply aligned with our ecosystem’s mission. Moreover, it’s not just about funding; it’s also about continuous learning and growth. My vision for the GC is a collective commitment to expanding our knowledge and capabilities as we navigate this ever-evolving space. I care about the future of Rari DAO and believe that the Grants Committee is the right place for me to help shape this future in the best possible way.

2. Relevant experience

• My engagement in governance runs deep, and I proudly serve as a delegate across several prominent DAOs. These include but are not limited to Arbitrum, Optimism, 1inch, Gitcoin, BanklessDAO, AAVE, Vita, and SAFE, all within the esteemed DAOStewards network. In my capacity as a delegate, I have had the privilege of meticulously scrutinizing hundreds of grant proposals. One notable instance is the recently concluded Arbitrum STIPs, where delegates had to review over 100 grant proposals. This process demanded careful consideration to make well-informed decisions regarding each project’s funding requests. My extensive experience in this field has honed my ability to assess projects with precision and contribute to the advancement of the broader web3 ecosystem.

• I have received a web3 grant in the past. My small team, comprising four individuals, sought a grant to kickstart a podcasting course we’re currently developing. Through this experience, I’ve gained valuable insights that I’m eager to see put into practice. One crucial lesson I’d like to emphasize is the importance of having a clear and well-defined grant template. This simple but effective tool can significantly streamline the application process and help applicants present comprehensive budget proposals. I have also learned the significance of incorporating Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). When KPIs are tracked monthly, the grantee and the grantor remain well-informed about the project’s progress. This transparency is invaluable, as it enables swift identification and resolution of any setbacks that may arise. By implementing these practices, we can enhance the grantee experience and ensure the success of these ecosystem-aligned web3 projects.

6 Likes

Short Bio and motivation

Hello everyone, I’m Jaf. I’ve been a Web3 citizen since late 2017, bringing with me 15 years of experience from the ancient Web2 world in various roles within software development world.

I joined the Web3 realm working on a project that builds identity-linked solutions. Shortly after, I transitioned to building the first Web3 communication network: Push Protocol. Since the inception of Push, I’ve worn many hats, from managing engineering to laying the groundwork for the Push DAO to flourish.

What inspires you about the Ecosystem Grants Fund in general, and particularly the grants portion?

Over the past year at Push, a significant part of my role has been establishing a successful Grants Program. After two iterations, I’ve gathered insights that I’m now applying as we transition control of the Grants Program to the community. Having led the Grants Council for over a year, I’ve gained a deep understanding of how to identify projects with a good ROI and assist applicants in improving their grant applications.

Grants are an excellent tool for promoting ecosystem growth. I love engaging with projects to optimize our protocol’s potential as an ecosystem.

What is your vision for the grants committee?

The grants committee should be balanced to identify opportunities for Rari effectively.

The committee needs to have a deep understanding of the protocol’s technical applications and Rari’s potential ROI. They should also understand the crucial role of attracting more artists and collectors to the Rarible Marketplace and other Rarible-powered marketplaces.

Staying up to date with all new products & features available through Rarible and Rarible protocol its imperative to maximize benefits for both applicants and the Rari community.

What makes you qualified to become a committee member and help in the grant decision making process?

For over a year, I successfully managed the Grants Program for Push Protocol, learning through experience what strategies are effective and which are not. Along the way, I developed a good eye for distinguishing genuinely committed builders from those seeking for a quick buck.

More importantly, I learned how to automate the grant processing and standardize processes in a manner that can be replicated, evaluated, and improved based on insights gained each season.

Additionally, I’ve been involved with Arbitrum Grants, learning best practices from their experience and receiving guidance from their leadership team.

Ultimately, I’ve realized the importance of prioritizing transparency from the very beginning.

Have you received a web3 grant previously? What learnings would you like to see implemented to shape an amazing grants experience for grantees?

I have not received a grant, but I have taken part in a council that has analyzed and decided on more than 120 grant applications of various types and sizes.

There are several lessons I’ve learned that I believe should be implemented:

• Education: Applicants greatly appreciate when they feel the team has taken the time to understand their value proposition and responded with more than just a yes or no. Builders want to learn and improve. Often, these are great builders with impressive products who lack experience in marketing their products or ideas. A simple conversation can often lead to pleasant surprises.
  • Transparency: This should not just be a task, but a practice in the grant process, for both grantees and grantors. The grants council must always remember that they were trusted and elected by the community to manage funds and represent Rari. This is a significant responsibility. The council should default to public information, and privately held information should be the exception.
5 Likes