DePIN Support for RARI Chain. Onboarding RARI to the POKT Network

DePIN Support for RARI Chain. Onboarding RARI to the POKT Network.

tldr;

Thank you for the opportunity to get to know all of you over the past weeks and being able to present at the community call today. As we at PORTERS were able to connect to some familiar faces and meet a many new ones at RARI, we want to follow up with a forum discussion on the onboarding of RARI Chain to the POKT Network.

The main benefit for RARI is in receiving low latency and decentralised node support for the entirety of its lifecycle without any cost for nodes as long as demand for using RARI Chain exists. PORTERS will facilitate the onboarding process and is interested in providing best practice easy NFT-minting functionalities as an open-source reference implementation and API.

PORTERS will expose public endpoints with no or minimal rate limiting, making its endpints the most competitive in the freemium tier.

Proposal

• Onboarding of RARI Chain to the POKT Network
  • Provision Public RPC Endpoints for Mainnet & Testnet
  • Increase RARI Chain Accessibility
  • Support Developer Ecosystem
  • Ensure High Performance and Reliability on scalable DePIN

Reasoning

RPC service providers rarely offer their services with an on-chain and builder first mentality. As PORTERS grew out of RaidGuild and beyond, we experienced first hand how crucial the NFT sector is to builders focused on on-chain only use cases. Rarible has been a great partner to many of RaidGuild’s clients for informing their software architectures and smart contract design, but many struggled with connecting on-chain elements of their NFT dApps to frontends.

With PORTERS we now have the chance to tackle these pain points where they arise and want to lower the barrier to entry for new developers and NFT application builders entering the space. We have learned from builders in the Rarible ecosystem how crucial seamless NFT data integration is for them to get started. To this end, we would like to partner with RARI for providing decentralised RPC services for the RARI Chain and develop a set of NFT API making use of decentralised public infrastructure - providing easy and equal access users to all NFT users globally.

Slide Deck from the community call

About Us

PORTERS is a Gateway to the POKT Network for developer by developers. PORTERS combines seamless access with the robustness of DePIN for builders, users, and networks in the Ethereum ecosystem.

Ask

We would like to garner support for a shared vision of decentralised RPC support for RARI Chain and its users, while checking DAO and foundation sentiment for proceeding with this initiative.

4 Likes

Hi Benedict!

Thank you for your introduction to POKT Network. Given my limited technical expertise I would enjoy some further technical clarification, also coming from the Rari DAO’s most tech savvy members. Regarding the Rari Chain, my limited technical understanding makes it difficult to assess the value of the integration to the POKT Network. However, regarding the costs, you mention the integration would be costless in case the Rari Chain held high transaction activity. Unfortunately, that is not the case, and currently the chain’s activity is very low. Given current market conditions, what would be the costs associated to the integration to the POKT Network.

1 Like

Hi Jose!

Thank you for your questions because they allow me to elaborate on what might have been not as clear on the call as I would have hoped.

The initial onboarding is not costless, as it is involves work from us, including:

1. Whitelisting
  2. PORTERS configuration
  3. Node support
  4. Endpoint publication

However, this is usually a one time fee as opposed to an ongoing maintenance fee charged by centralised providers.

I say usually because it has the caveat you are alluding to in your post. If the chain does not have ~2M daily compute units, you would have to bolster organic traffic to reach this threshold sent daily to POKT network to ensure that node runners are incentivised to support RARI Chain.

Now that might sound a lot, but effectively that will cost you approx. 5-10 USD a day or approx. 3,000 USD a year and we can take this over for you. Compare that to other providers, who are charging around 2,500 USD a month for this service.

Long story short, this does not mean you need 2M transactions on RARI Chain, nor does it mean this amount has to go to waste. We would like to offer you building a service that makes meaningful use of these units, which ultimately also benefits the chain’s growth overall. This approach is in nature and quality different and more user-centric compared to all other providers on the market.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

I see, thanks for the clarification. What would be the one-time onboarding fee, then?

Thank you for your feedback @Jose_StableLab ! The proposed overall fee structure we have calculated for this initiative is as follows:

• Onboarding to POKT Network: USD 17,000 in RARI
  • Node support of 30 POKT nodes, propagation, and public enpoints: 15,000 USDC

Optional but suggested:

• 3rd party NFT minting & lookup integration on RARI chain: USD 13,000 in RARI
    • as reference implementation on PORTERS’ “Easy Integrations Portal”
    • as a service through PORTERS RPC & API portal

I hope this helps. We are open to your feedback!

2 Likes

Thanks for your proposal and the intro in the community call. Is the node support an ongoing fee, or does it belong to the setup costs?

And may you share some more resources about POKT, e.g. other chains you already support? Additionally, maybe somebody from the RARI foundation could give some insights into the (technical) benefits of the integration.

2 Likes

Hi @bitblondy !

Thank you for your questions. The node support is an initial cost to give us (the RARI Community and PORTERS) enough time to ensure that ~1.5m compute units per day are coming through. In other words, we want to make sure that we get reach relevant stakeholding community members so that anyone wanting to know something from RARI Chain or anyone publishing something on RARI chain can use this.

Ongoing maintenance for ensuring the endpoint is up will cost someone spending ~150-300 USD/month for usage, i.e. this is the minimum usage threshold. To put that in perspective, this is the cost of 3 developers paying a monthly Alchemy subscription. Since POKT network is decentralised, this usage also can be spent with any RPC provider using POKT.

To your second question, we have already successfully onboarded Taiko, for which we are the only provider of public endpoints that are not rate limited. Generally, POKT Network supports over 60 chains taking an unbiased approach. PORTERS as part of the POKT community wants to help you grow as a community, but refrains from engaging in any activities related to L2 competition.

General documentation on POKT Network is available here https://docs.pokt.network/. In case you have specific questions, I am happy to answer them as much as I can or refer you to someone who is in the most convenient way possible.

Let me know if this helps for now.

Ben

2 Likes

Thanks for the information, seems like a useful addition to the ecosystem, and the maintenance fee seems reasonable as well.
This is additional to the 17k RARI onboarding and 15k USDC node support fee?

2 Likes

Dear @bitblondy,

Thank you for your follow up here. I would prefer to not call it a maintenance fee, as this should really be a minimum usage threshold. However, I can conceive why it may come across as maintenance fee whenever it is unclear whether the usage is met.

To give all stakeholders sufficient time ramping up usage, we can include the first year of threshold usage in the package. That would equate roughly to 550m relays.

What do you think?