Rarible DAO Elected Representative Governance Experiment

Fair enough – the response could be that the DAO monitors and removes any members that do this kind of thing. It is definitely a cat and mouse game, but so is most rule breaking IRL, I suppose.

They could, but they wouldn’t have much leverage over those members if the members can fairly easily afford to stake on themselves. The idea of memberships getting staked on is kind of an extra credit thing, anyhow, IMO. Just a way of making sure members have at least some minimum financial stake associated with them.

Good call! We should definitely consider trying some combination of Bright ID + quadratic voting (+ maybe some kind of reward if you verify BrightID and participate, since it raises the barrier?). One worry with that is that it might not do enough to limit plutocracy – whales will still have the strongest voices, and the token may still get more centralized over time as small holders sell.

Great comments and insights.

I think that a combination of two types of benefits might be useful. One benefit is reputational. People with no or little reputation may participate actively because they build reputation. People with a lot of reputation benefit less from participating actively than people with lots of reputation. A single NFT, from something like https://galaxy.eco/ that builds identity/reputation over time, could be useful.

To have people with lots of reputation (which sometimes is associated with some kind expertise) engage actively, there needs to more than just reputational benefits. Reason is lower marginal benefits to engaging in the same kind of work as people with lower (absolute) reputation. This is where I think Alex’s suggesting of rewarding some $RARI is useful. It’s a financial benefit.

There is also another benefit to rewarding $RARI. $RARI can be rewarded in a fixed way, or a variable way. A variable way captures differences that a fixed way does not capture. Using tools https://coordinape.com/ to let Delegates assign value to each other might be useful. First, more active delegates would be rewarded more than less active delegates. Second, this ranking may provide a way to replace Delegates who are the least valuable in the group, thereby generating variation in the delegates. I think that is preferable over having some people delegate their $RARI because in practice people will delegate mostly to their friends.

A pragmatic suggestion is also to simply get started. The key is to make sure that the first step does not become too constraining in terms of future paths. Keeping things simple initially can help. Based on this logic, one token is simpler than two tokens.

Cutting edge stuff!

1 Like

Closing this topic, and starting a new thread!